20 October, 2008

during economic recession, I...


Gangsters wearing some visors in war ma...all the workers in the streets wear these, they're badA


Ben being attacked by our daily riot of midgets...


My advertising foreign teaching pose...


My favorite kid...he's the funniest kid I have ever met who doesn't speak english. he wanted to "gangsta pose" instead of smiling so he made me take the picture with him...


Playdough face...my favorite class


The daily eye exercises....too much reading means they have to play with their heads and massage their faces...it's kind of cute really

Still enjoying the teaching and liking some of the kids more every day and disliking others just as much. It's been a trip though. I have been teaching pretty consistently since philippines and now am pretty exhausted, but i trek on. haha. i actually do the normal 8-5 hours here...well almost...2 hour break for lunch and i'm done around 4ish 3 days a week, but it's pretty long anyway, plus teh lesson planning

I've been watching hte market crash slowly from over here...it's kind of crazy. Mostly sad because I watch my money slowly shrink away as I wish I had just hid it under my bed like old people do instead of trying to invest...who knows if we will ever really come back from this. Asia is pretty affected as well, but investments aren't as big of a deal here, no one really makes money of the markets on the mainland, that's more Hong Kong style...the westernized parts.

As for the rest of my life here, I have befriended some gang members (that I didn't know were mobsters originally, promise). We go out pretty often, and its' fun bc they don't speak any english so i like the challenge of getting my ideas across...so i've started discussing politics and stuff with some chinese people, which is cool that i now am able to do that...i also have them teaching me cantonese, bc it sounds cooler than mandarin...

The main guy A Fo 啊佛 is pretty gangster...he pays for everything and for some odd reason has taken a real liking to me especially...i suppose I was the one who introduced him to the rest of some foreign teachers, but still...

so that's my life in the past 12 days mostly...class here, class there, english here, chinese there. there is a lot of routine ot growing up though which has begun to bore me horribly...in need of some more travels soon...pay day is soon, which is good news

1 comment:

pandajerky said...

i LOVE the pics, especially the one of the gangsta child. hilarious.

good to get an update on your life; i feel like i haven't seen you in FOREVER even though we live in the same city! take care of yoself and i'll see you on wednesday, dude. :)

kiki