27 August, 2008

yup, finally here. 终于到了!!

So it may have taken an extra 20 hours, but i finally made it to china...got annoyingly delayed in san francisco as I guess I should have expected with my flight track record.  Anyway, it was actually a good thing, got to stop and hang out with Julie for the night and finally see san francisco since i didn't get to go when my sisters lived there.  Got to say, I actually like it!  Reminds me of a taller austin with less cars

So, next step was the second flight to Hong Kong.  About a 13 hour flight, which stretched to almost 14 in the end (again, just my luck in traveling).  Anyway, also with my luck and just something you would definitely expect of me...I met the ONE mexican on the flight.  He was a cool kid.  about 19 i think and moving ot Hong Kong for college!  studying engineering for the next 4 years because he wanted to be different and not go to the states like his friend.  anyway, gonna end up meeting up in hong kong when i go to visit so i can get my fill on mexicans on the other side of the world since I will be so deprived on this side of the world.

Last bit of news updates, Chinese class is going well.  I love Professor Qiu.  She is probably the funniest Chinese person I have ever met (which i guess doesn't say all that much, but she is hysterical).  We're going to lunch tomorrow because for some reason has taken a liking especially to me and has decided to "raise the bar" when grading me?  sucks.  but i guess it's better than her hating me...she for some reason prefers me even to the chinese kids in class (sort of typical too of chinese people. hyper critical of chinese)...TEFL classes suck and are boring me to death...hopefully they'll help somehow when i start teaching though.  I'm hoping desperately I get high school kids.  I will hate myself if i have young kids.  Oh and apparently someone was telling me that I should teach spanish here.  I can tutor kids and make an additional 180 RMB an hour (about 25 bucks an hour).  They don't have anyone to teach it here so it could be good for me to do since some people want to learn that in addtion to english.

One week left in Zhuhai (city for training) which is this awesome beach city.  really clean and nice.  lots of money here which is a nice break from the rest of china.  pics to come eventually...

1 comment:

dchunduru said...

obviously all of the aforementioned things would happen to you. as far as your safety in china is concerned, i have a feeling you're going to have to shrink a foot or so to fit in.

hope you're doing well and can't wait to share in the "how much teaching sucks" stories.