31 August, 2008

1 week in 一星期以后

So as I sit here working on my presentation for Tuesday's lesson, I realize that I have been here a week.  Can't believe how fast time flew.  I'm exhausted and am surprised by how much work we actually do.  I mean, don't get me wrong, this kid still parties, but it's amazing that even JUST out of college can make me feel old.  I get questions of what I do for a living now and if I'm married.  I guess that's a whole other off topic subject though.  Although I do feel old now.  I used to never get tired, but I guess partying with these Chinese has finally made a challenge.  We're up at 730 every morning (and sometimes out till 4...haha).

So to talk about this city a little more for those who are interested...it's a cool town.  Not really all that huge for China.  I think it's a very popular vacation destination for Shenzhen families and people from Hong Kong.  Sometimes the accent in Mandarin here is pretty funny because a lot of people speak Canto.  It's nice though...beachy, so I can't complain.

Friday night I had the first late night like I'm used to back in the states.  A few friends and I (Ben, Jeff, and Phong) went to a bar street.  So there are 2 here: one just called bar street (酒巴街)and the other is Hooker street (莲花路).  So Hooker street was friday.  Not to say that we get a lot of hookers in the states, but we drank quite a bit and didn't get home until 4 am...which made waking up for class at 730 kind of difficult...so I didn't.  I made it to the rest of classes though and was 1 of 3 that missed a pointless class so I didn't worry.  Plus my Chinese teacher loves me so I don't worry.

So now I continue with training.  3 days left in Zhuhai and trying to finish a final presentation.  I'm exhausted, but will probably still force myself to go out in order to celebrate finishing the first Chinese test today.  So I haven't changed too much just yet, don't worry.....guess I'm not all that old.

2 comments:

dchunduru said...

Get ready for the over-zealous blog commenter/stalker. Nothing makes me happier than knowing that despite what foreign land you may end up in, your inclination to be a boozehound will never fade. Faint sense of hope.

Also, Hooker street: I assume that's where you're working on the weekends. No?

ntsourmas said...

unfortunately no....apparently if you get asked if you're russian they're really asking if you're a hooker.....boy or girl. i like that there are boy hookers here, it makes me feel that if i lose my job as teacher that i can still get a job somewhere...